“Sharing is Caring” is our community’s project designed to provide Christmas for children in Whitfield County who are living in poverty or whose family’s circumstances might prevent them from receiving Christmas gifts.
The goals of the program are simple:
• Provide a similar Christmas for families that we desire for our own families.
• Address the complete needs of families and provide resources to help them be able to create their own Christmases in the future.
• Protect the families’ dignity by allowing them to choose and give the gifts to their children as well as celebrate Christmas in their own ways.
• Create equality of gifts that families will receive throughout the community.
• Work together as a whole community to build parent capacity and empower families.
The general process is:
August - Information given to family about program and schedule of club meetings in the community by various agencies and organizations, covering topics which include budgeting, communication, cooking with leftovers, parenting tips and helping your child be successful in school. Parents are asked to attend 3 meetings during the fall where they will receive a certificate of attendance.
End of October - The Salvation Army holds an Application Week where families bring their certificates and identification are helped to complete an application.
December 13th, 15th, and 17th - Parents come at their designated times to pick out gifts for each child at the Sharing is Caring Christmas Store at the North Georgia Fairgrounds. In one area, parents shop for items at their designated times while in another area there is a Christmas Party atmosphere, with refreshments and stories and crafts for the children. *For families who choose not to participate in the Community Christmas, they will be given information about the Providence Ministries Christmas Day Celebration which includes a service, meal and gift give away.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
FINANCIALLY: Help purchase needed items for the store!
• Make checks payable to ChristChurch Presbyterian and in the FOR: line, write Sharing is Caring Christmas Club
DONATE TOYS, CLOTHING, ETC.: (Bring your donations to the CHURCH PARLOR before December 7)
NEW TOYS: New toys for ages infant to 18 years are needed! Toys must be new and should be valued in the $20-$30 range. If the toy needs batteries, please tape appropriate batteries to the toy. Please no bikes or large toys! NEW CLOTHING: New clothing and shoes are needed in all sizes
GIVE AWAY ITEMS: Blankets, batteries for toys, and hygiene items will all be given to families.
VOLUNTEER: Sign up online
• Christmas Store: (mid-December) Preparing the store ready before it opens; helping keep the store area stocked and neat while families shop; working with kids while their parents shop; serving families and volunteers refreshments while in the waiting area;, helping parents shop for items in the Christmas Store, giving families give away items, such as blankets, batteries for toys, etc.; and assisting families with loading gifts in cars.
Church Contacts for Questions: Tammy Keen or Lin O’Neill